Sunday, December 31, 2006

Machines at Rest


"Man finds nothing so intolerable as to be in a state of complete rest, without passions, without occupation, without diversion, without effort. Then he feels his nullity, loneliness, inadequacy, dependence, helplessness, emptiness."

- Blaise Pascal






And not just humans. Have you ever left your computer unused for too long? We all know how people believe in the "use it or lose it" theory; a car, for example, will eventually stop working if left in your front yard for a few months. Apparently, computers will take matters into their own hands and let us know of their displeasure. How does YOUR computer let you know? Blue screen of death? Freeze-up?

My computer is a philosopher.

When at rest for too long, this computer reminds me that without stimulations, without diversion, without effort it will start to ponder its existence. My computer decided to break some existentialism off on me "Windows" style, as seen above in the colorful error message. Which led me to think (dont worry, only briefly think) that maybe I am not giving my computer enough credit for its sensitivity.

If left at rest for too long, will my beloved machine start unloading suicide threats into my printouts? I can only imagine what sort of dependencies my computer might have in its future. Which could lead me to a whole new entry.

A required resource was. What it was, thats not important.

No comments: