Monday, June 15, 2009

Go Team!


"The key is to make mistakes faster than the competition, so you have more chances to learn and win."

~John W. Holt, Jr.






Team Moss had a good day, Saturday, at the Five Mile Lake Sprint Triathlon, in Federal Way, WA...

Brian Kirby had a fantastic pre-ironman tune-up race! In just his third triathlon ever, I believe, he went home with 3rd place in the Male 30-34 age group. Sweeeet!! Watching him fly into the park at the very end of the run was something. That big dude can really move! I dare you to get in his way!

The beautiful and amazing Jan Howard earned her first hardware by improving on her previous time on this course by 10 minutes, winning 3rd place in the Women 30-34 age group. This girl has worked RELENTLESSLY on her running especially, but on all parts of her racing and it is really paying off. Not only did she train right through this race, but the day before she came home from a week long trip to Atlanta, complete with booze and southern cooking. Indeed, her accomplishment is special. But most importantly, the part that means the most, is that she has figured out how to race the best way for her. She has taken the tools taught to her and figured out HER OWN WAY, and it is working. I am so ridiculously proud.

I managed to use the entire length of the 5K run to catch and pass someone and earn 5th overall and 1st in the Men 30-34 age group. It might have been 3rd or 4th overall if my timing chip had not stuck inside of my wetsuit after the swim to bike transition. Oh well. I felt really good all day and feel good today. I forgot how hard going fast is!!

Shawna Hengel, in her first triathlon EVER, flew around the course and earned 5th in Women 30-34. She looked waaaay too comfortable out there, and I fully expect her to experience exponential growth throughout this season! She has talent!


Now, as the unofficial coach of this rag-tag bunch of wanna-be trigeeks, I have to say I am damn proud. All in all, I would say that Team Moss had a spectacular showing.




And if the season stopped there, well, maybe I wouldn't be so nervous still. Today is Monday. This coming Sunday is IRONMAN. All I can really do now is rest, be smart, and stick to my pre-race plan. The water appears to be cooperating temperature-wise, and the training is behind me. That is really the best I can hope for. I will be blogging from race headquarters, the Motel 6 in Coeur D Alene. Woo hoo!!!

No comments: