Friday, June 26, 2009

You are an IRONMAN... AGAIN!


"The first requisite of success is the ability to apply your physical and mental energies to one problem without growing weary."

~Thomas Edison






This one's for you, grandpa.

11 hours, 23 minutes, 48 seconds after trudging reluctantly into the dark, cold, wavy waters of Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, I emerged from the marathon to the sound of cheers and laughter and the announcer telling me what I wanted to hear.

Aaron Moss, from Kenmore, Washington... YOU are an IRONMAN, for the second time!

It was a very hard day. Much more difficult than the First Ironman. But, after enormous waves, again being beaten-up pretty handily in the water, 2 flat tires, a RIDICULOUS 15 mph headwind on the bike, rain and 50 degree temps on the run-- I managed to shave 1 hour and 21 minutes off of my time.

It really is an experience that is hard to describe to someone who has never done it, or even seen it. It is a sustained effort over so long, and it requires so much mental exertion; so much time is spent in doubt...its hard to imagine it ending at ALL during a number of points during the day.

My race report will be coming soon. Until then, I am on vacation!

No comments: